At Tensator, we understand how important it is that your employees are safe and you are compliant with health and safety at work regulations. Our products are designed with these regulations in mind and provide solutions to overcome safety concerns. We appreciate that no two company’s health and safety requirements are the same; consequently, we work on a consultative basis. Using our wide breadth of experience, we’re able to provide advice and create bespoke health and safety systems in order to help businesses adhere to UK health and safety laws.
The key requirements of UK health and safety laws
All employers in the UK must adhere to health and safety at work regulations. The Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974 (also referred to as HSWA, the HSW Act, the 1974 Act or HASAWA) is the main piece of legislation covering occupational health and safety in Great Britain. This ruling defines the fundamental structure and authority for the encouragement, regulation and enforcement of workplace health and safety laws.
Before the law was issued in 1974, approximately 8 million employees had no legal safety protection at work. Since its incorporation, this piece of legislation has saved the lives of many people, as well as protecting workers from injury and illness. As workplaces and machinery have developed significantly over the past 40 years, so too has HSWA. The legislation itself is quite long, as well as quite complex in places.
6 guiding points to help you adhere to UK health and safety laws
UK health and safety law states that organisations must:
- Assess risks to employees, customers and any other people who could be affected by workplace activities
- Arrange for effective planning, monitoring and review of preventative and protective measures in place at an organisation
- Have a written health and safety policy if they employ five or more people – this is to demonstrate to others that everyone in the organisation is committed to maintaining a safe working environment
- Ensure that employees have access to health and safety advice, as well as adequate welfare and first aid facilities
- Consult employees about their risks at work and educate them about preventative measures
- Make sure a fire escape plan is in place
Failure to comply with UK health and safety laws can be detrimental to your business. As an employer, you could be prosecuted, fined and in some severe cases, imprisoned.
Tensator’s workplace health and safety solutions
Tensator offer a wide range of solutions to help businesses adhere to UK health and safety laws. A popular product is our Tensabarrier.
Tensabarriers can be used to provide a safe working environment by:
- Clearly defining safe foot traffic routes
- Drawing attention and preventing access to restricted and dangerous areas
- Highlighting potential hazards and work in progress areas
- Providing visual safety messages to influence behavioural change
For those looking to restrict access on a periodic basis, but don’t have the floor space for Tensabarriers, Tensabarrier Wall Units are ideal. As part of the Tensabarrier range, our wall units use the same safe retracting mechanism as the floor standing posts.
For more information on how Tensator can provide solutions to help you make sure your workplace is compliant with UK health and safety laws, why not take a look at our brochure? To download, please click the image below.